Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Honoring Bood

I talk a lot in my blog about how it can help our grieving process if we honor an animal's life, instead of focusing on their death, so with that in mind, I am doing a extra blog entry this week to honor the life of a very special cat who passed away yesterday. I am hoping that by writing about her life and her beautiful spirit, that it will help with the grief I am experiencing myself over her passing. I miss this sweet girl as much as I would if she were my own. There was something very special about her and I will hold a place in my heart for her forever.

Bood was a client of mine for over a year and a half. She graced the world with her presence for 18 years and had been living an incredibly good life, in spite of a cancer diagnosis a year and a half ago. She was one of most precious cats I have ever known.

We called her the Reiki Sponge because she was the first animal I ever met who just couldn't seem to get enough Reiki. She would soak it up and soak it up and almost look disappointed when the treatment was over. She was also very clear about where she wanted my hands and throughout the treatment, she would move around in my lap, laying on one side, then the other side, moving forwards and backwards, as if to say "Ok, I want some Reiki here now." The room where she always received her Reiki treatments at her guardian's house was dubbed the "Reiki room" and Bood would often go in there an hour before I even arrived at her house, as if she was saying, "Ok, I'm ready whenever she gets here!"

I used to affectionately tease her over the fact that I thought she had many "dog" qualities, i.e. she used to make this sweet groaning sound when she stretched that is similar to what dogs often do. She was also incredibly affectionate. While some cats aren't too interested in being touched for too long, she was a love-bug and would sit in your lap for hours.

She possessed a depth and a wisdom that made me believe she was a very old soul. I often felt very humbled in her presence, as I sensed she understood things that even I have yet to understand. She was very independent and proud and determined. She didn't want to be helped, even when she was struggling to get around in her final weeks.

In the last few months, she had often not been making it to the litter box. Her mom put some pee-pads down, thinking that maybe it was just too difficult for her to step into a litter box. It hadn't helped much and yet, in her final days, even when she was barely able to walk, she somehow managed to get herself over to the pee-pads every single time. Her mom was curious about that, so I asked Bood the last night I was with her and she told me that she wanted to leave her mom with a good memory, she wanted her mom to remember that she always tried to do the right thing. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing when she told me that. It was so symbolic of who she was.

In the days leading up to her passing, her mom and I were in touch a lot, as it is such a difficult time when you know the end is coming and you are filled with everything from dread to sadness to fear, etc. I didn't want her to feel alone with it. We had expected Bood to pass several days earlier but she just wasn't ready to go yet. As I wrote about in my last entry, I believe animals come into our lives to fulfill a purpose and only they know when they have completed their mission here on earth. Bood obviously had a few more things to wrap up before she was ready to go, so she hung in there until early Monday morning.

Through our conversations, her mom tearfully recounted all the positive ways Bood had impacted her life and the members of her family. It was impossible not to be in awe of what this precious little cat had been able to accomplish in her 18 years. Understandably, her mom was overwhelmed with gratitude when she looked at all the ways Bood had impacted their lives and changed things for the better . . . and just hearing about the things Bood had been instrumental in making happen made my own heart swelled with gratitude.

While I feel a great loss from her passing, I trust that her work here on earth was done, and she knew it was alright for her to go. I am sure that she will continue to watch over her mom and make sure that she is ok. Their bond was incredibly strong and beautiful and I don't believe that death can sever that bond.

I will never forget Bood. It was an honor and a joy to work with her and I will always hold a very special place in my heart for her.

No comments: