Saturday, June 1, 2013

Fun with Flashes

I recently went over to a friend's house to visit with she and my god-dogs, Mingus and Nina.  I was humored by what I saw playing out before me . . . sibling rivalry as strong as I have ever seen it in human form.  It brought me back to my own childhood and the memories I have of my siblings and I, and how intense our sibling rivalry could be.  At Christmas time each year, my mom went out of her way to make sure us kids had exactly the same number of gifts under the tree, as a way to avoid the pouting and declarations that "so-and-so was the favorite child."

The entire time I was with my god-dogs, if I pet one of them, the other one would push their way in to make sure they got a pet too.  It had to be even the whole time.  I marveled at how many "human" behaviors are exhibited by animals and wondered how people could believe they were "just dogs."

After dinner, I wanted to take some pictures of the dogs but since we were inside and my flash kept going off, their eyes were changing color, but not in a way I had ever seen before.  I have seen dogs and cats end up with red eyes in pictures, or green eyes, but this was something I had never witnessed before.  Each picture I took, one eye turned glowing green and one eye turned glowing blue.  My friend and I were laughing so hard, I could barely hold the camera still.  I kept reassuring the dogs that we weren't laughing AT them, because I didn't want them to feel bad . . . and yet with each picture, our laughter got more intense.

I asked my friend what kind of radio-active dog treats she was feeding them and that made us laugh even more.  Then I tried to say, with a straight face, that I was concerned about my god-dogs and wasn't sure I should leave them there with her, given that she must be feeding them toxic substances, and that made us laugh again.  I finally gave up trying to get a normal picture and told my friend that next time I'd come back in the day time to photograph them.  :-)

In case you have never seen an eerie blue eyed/green eyed dog before, I am including a few of the pictures.  I don't know if it will make anyone else laugh.  You might have had to be there.  But just in case you don't, enjoy!!


No comments: