Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Mystery Spot

Last weekend I went to the Mystery Spot in the Santa Cruz mountains. It had been eighteen years since I had been there, and that was long before I was working with energy the way I am now, so I was eager to go and see what I would experience this time.

For those of you not familiar with the Mystery Spot, it consists of a circular area (about 150 feet) in the middle of the redwoods, explained as a gravitational anomaly. It was discovered in 1939 by a group of surveyors and opened to the public in 1940.

In this specific area, there are variations in gravity, perspective and height that no one has ever been able to explain. Some speculate that cones of metal were secretly brought here and buried in the earth as a guidance system for spacecraft. Some think that it is in fact a spacecraft itself, buried deep within the ground. Other theories include carbon dioxide permeating from the earth, a hole in the ozone layer, a magma vortex, the highest dielectric biocosmic radiation known anywhere in the world or radiesthesia. Whatever the cause is, it remains a mystery. (Source: www.mysteryspot.com)

Aside from the odd things that you can see up there (things roll uphill, you can lean forward farther than you ever imagined possible, without falling over, people look taller or shorter depending on where they stand, etc), there is also something that I found interesting . . . birds never fly over the area (within that 150 foot space), animals are never seen there, not even insects. Given that I believe animals know a lot of things we don't, or that they sense things to a greater magnitude that we do, I was extra curious to experience the Mystery Spot again and see what I was able to pick up intuitively, about the place in general and more specifically, about why the animals stay away.

Much to my disappointment, from the moment we stepped into the "spot," it was as if my intuition wouldn't work at all. It was such a strange experience. I felt woozy and nauseous, my legs felt like they weighed 200 lbs. each and I could barely walk without holding onto something. Still, I was fascinated by the experience and tried to pay attention to everything our guide was telling us. I wanted to take it all in but I was having trouble concentrating. I wanted to see what I could pick up myself, but I felt like I was not in control of my body most of the time nor connected to my intuition.

There were so many things I wanted to ask our tour guide, questions I had come up with before we got there, such as; Why aren't animals allowed up there? What do they think would happen to an animal if they were at the Mystery Spot? What were their theories on why birds and other animals avoided the area? etc. but once we were there, my brain wouldn't work well enough to remember that I had even planned on asking questions.

At one point, I attempted to participate in one of the "activities" in cabin, in the center of the Mystery Spot. In this particular spot, if you grabbed ahold of the bar in a door jamb, your body would float toward the side wall of the cabin, without any effort on your part at all. After stumbling over to the door jamb and grabbing ahold of the bar, I lifted myself up off the ground, and just as they said it would, the lower half of my body floated at an angle. The weird thing was that I could barely hold onto the bar. My arms felt so weak, it felt as if my legs literally DID weigh 200 lbs. apiece. My arms were shaking so much, I could barely hold on, which was so odd to me because I am in pretty good shape and can do a chin up without much effort and this was far easier than a chin up.

After the "photo op" I stumbled over to our guide and managed to ask one question, (still not remembering at that point that I had lots of other questions I wanted to ask). I said, "Why do you think my arms were so weak when I tried to do that?" and his response was, "Your body must not like the energy here." I can't say I disagreed. Clearly, I was experiencing the "energy" of the place far more intensely than everyone else there, and it wasn't a good experience, from the standpoint that I don't enjoy feeling that woozy, heavy, weak and uncoordinated.

Even though I was really affected by the energy and left without asking any of my questions, I was still glad that I went. It was certainly an interesting experience. While I don't completely understand why animals stay away (and why pets aren't allowed in), I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was as simple as . . . the animals feel the same way I did, or worse, when they are at the Mystery Spot.

For now, I guess this will remain a "mystery" . . . but it is still such a fascinating place. If you haven't experienced it yourself, I recommend going. If nothing else, it will certainly give you a lot to think about.



No comments: