Monday, February 28, 2011

Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance

Back in January, I wrote about my dog client, Kaya, who had been receiving reiki along with her chemotherapy. I had been thrilled to see that Kaya never experienced any of the usual side effects of chemotherapy and her mom and I were sure it was the reiki that had made that possible. It made me wish that more people would try alternative treatments, not only for their animals, but for themselves as well, if they were faced with cancer.

The morning after I posted that blog, I got an email from a woman named Jackie at the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance, (www.mesothelioma.com) home asking me if I would like to be listed on their website as a reiki resource, in their alternative treatments section. I couldn't believe it. The timing was not something I could ignore. I put the idea out there to the Universe and in less than 24 hours, I got a response. It was exciting to think there was a big organization out there who understood the important role alternative treatments can play in our health and well-being.

I exchanged a few emails with her and checked out their website as well, to learn more about the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance, and I have to say, I was really impressed. This is an organization that is doing everything they can to help people with a cancer diagnosis (and while their focus is on mesothelioma, I believe almost everything on their site could apply to anyone with any type of cancer). I know many people who have received a cancer diagnosis and it often felt like the equivalent to a death sentence . . . but on this particular website, it is clear that their intention is for people to get WELL. Everything about it felt really positive.

When I got on the website, I first clicked on their alternative treatments tab to see what they recommended (www.mesothelioma.com/treatment/alternative) alternative and found thirty-three alternative options! Most of them are treatments that I am very familiar with and I couldn't help but feel excited that there was an organization out there who really understands the benefits of alternative treatments. They seemed to be communicating the very same thing that I was writing about in December . . . that often times, a combination of eastern and western medicine can be a powerful and effective approach to dealing with cancer, that we don't have to go all western or all eastern.

Through my email exchanges with Jackie, I found out that animals can get mesothelioma as well. (www.mesothelioma.com/asbestos-cancer/pets-animals) pets which surprised me. While most animals don't have a "job" where they are exposed to asbestos, very often they are the pets of people who have been exposed. If the asbestos is on their guardians clothes when they come home from work, there's a chance that pets can end up getting mesothelioma. What was encouraging is that they believe animals would benefit from all the same treatment options they offer humans and encourage animal guardians to explore their recommended resources.

I was so impressed with the work they are doing, that I told Jackie I was going to write about their organization in my blog. Knowing how scary and overwhelming a cancer diagnosis can be, it was comforting to think there was an organization out there that was trying to collect all the information a person might need, all in one place. The fact that the website is well organized and easy to navigate made me even more interested in putting the word out about their website. One page on their website summarizes all the resources a person might need to explore, from doctors, to hospitals, to alternative treatments to experimental treatments. (www.mesothelioma.com/community/) community

While I don't wish for anyone (human or animal) to get a cancer diagnosis, it is nice to know there are resources out there that can assist people in finding the help they need, and also nice to know that alternative treatments are becoming more widely recognized as a viable approach to treating cancer. I encourage you to look at their website and maybe bookmark a few of these pages, in case you ever come across someone who is needing some help. With all this information in one place, it could save someone hours and hours of their own research.

No comments: