Sunday, February 13, 2011

Animal Communication

People often assume that all animals are very eager to talk up a storm when given the opportunity to visit with an animal communicator but in actuality, communicating with animals can be as complex as communicating with people because there are so many similarities.

I am sure you know people who always have something to say and are very eager to share what's on their mind . . . and I am sure you know people who are quiet and would rather listen to others than share what they are thinking. Animals are the exact same way.

You probably know people who are very trusting and have no issue at all revealing personal information, even after they have only just met someone . . . and you probably also know people who need to build up a certain level of trust before they will reveal anything personal. Animals are the exact same way.

As an animal communicator, it is important to me that I always honor the animal I am working with and their particular method of communicating. It doesn't do me any good to try to force an animal to communicate if they aren't ready, just as it doesn't do me any good to not pay attention to an animal that has a lot to say. :-)

Often times, an animal will be shy about communicating with me, if they aren't sure how their guardian feels about it (after all, their loyalty is to their guardian, not to me) so I often ask the guardians to speak with their animals before an appointment with me and let them know it's ok to share information with me. That helps most of the time, but in some cases, animals will still need a little time to develop some trust with me, before they will open up too much.

The other funny thing about communicating with animals is that they don't use all the same words we do, or have all the same understanding of things that we do. It is important to keep that in mind, and to try to explain things from their perspective, in terms that they will understand.

It brings to mind a funny memory of my sweet girl, Lucky. Many years ago, we went away for the weekend with some friends of mine. It was one of the first times I remember being on a trip where other women were in the house with us and fortunately for me, one of the other women was also an animal communicator (which was helpful to me at the time because sometimes I couldn't "hear" Lucky as well as I could "hear" other animals).

It was the first morning after our trip had begun and we were all taking showers. I took a shower first, then one of the other gals took a shower. When she came out of the bathroom, Lucky was standing in the hall, looking at her oddly and then she barked at her a couple of times. She yelled to me in the kitchen and said, "Why is Lucky barking at me?" and I honestly didn't have a clue. I could feel concern coming from Lucky, but I couldn't pick up anything else.

Just then, the third gal (the other animal communicator) walked out of the bedroom and said, "Lucky wants to know why you are wearing her mom's hat." It took me a minute to understand what that meant, but once I did, we all laughed hysterically (and then I quickly explained to Lucky that we weren't laughing AT her, we were laughing with her).

The "hat" Lucky was referring to was the towel wrapped around my friends head. I realized that Lucky had never seen anyone but me come out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around their head, because she and I lived alone. It made perfect sense from her perspective. :-) I explained to her that most women wrap a towel around their head when they get out of the shower, that it wasn't just me, and that she would be seeing all of us with towels on our heads through out the weekend. After that, Lucky was fine and she never barked at anyone again when they were donning the post-shower "hat."

So, remember, if you are trying to communicate with your pets yourself, or working with an animal communicator, your animals each have their own "style" as well . . . they may be talkative, they may be more hesitant to speak up, or they may need more time to get comfortable with the idea of sharing what's on their mind. The important thing is to honor their method of communicating. The one thing I can tell you for sure, is that what an animal chooses to share is always valuable, and always worth hearing.




No comments: