Sunday, October 3, 2010

An Opossum encounter

Earlier this week, I was on a really long call with my insurance company. To make the frustrating call more tolerable, I decided to sit in the backyard, and get a little sun while we were trying to sort out the current paperwork fiasco that I have been dealing with.

While I was sitting there, I heard a strange noise above my head on the top of the fence and when I looked up I saw an opossum struggling to walk along the fence. I had a feeling he may fall off the fence and land on me, so I stood up to get out of the way. When I looked up at him, I saw that this poor little guy was in really bad shape. His head was all bloody and he was barely able to walk, he was so shaky. It broke my heart to see the condition he was in and I wanted nothing more than to help him.

If I hadn't been trying for months to resolve this insurance problem, I would have hung up the phone and just focused on the opossum, but I knew I needed to stay on the phone, since I was finally talking to someone who might be able to help me. I tried whispering to him, telling him not to be afraid, that I wouldn't hurt him, etc. but I couldn't stop him from leaving. He slowly turned around, almost falling off the fence and made his way back from the direction he came.

The rest of the call, I couldn't stop thinking about him. When I finally got off the phone, I went outside and looked for him. I checked all the bushes surrounding the back side of my house, but he was nowhere to be seen. I went back inside, feeling as though I had somehow let him down. For the rest of the afternoon and evening, I thought about him. I kept getting the image of his little face in my head, with the blood all over his forehead, and it was making me feel really sad.

That night when I got into bed, he was still on my mind. I decided to try to send him some Reiki. At first, I was nervous about it, not knowing if I would even be able to connect with him to send him energy. I was also worried that maybe he had already passed away and I wasn't sure I wanted to know that. I decided to give it a try anyway because I decided it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. As soon as I started sending energy to him, my hands started to throb. I don't know if I have ever sent Reiki to someone (human or animal) where my felt the energy that intensely. He was pulling energy so hard, I was sure that he was in real need of help.

I sent him Reiki for about 45 minutes and then I guess I fell asleep. When I was woken up by the garbage trucks at the shopping center behind me at 6:30am, I couldn't fall back asleep so I decided to try and send him some more energy. Much to my delight, I was able to connect with him again and happy when he pulled more energy, although not nearly as intensely as the night before. At least it let me know he was still alive, that he had made it through the night and that made me feel a lot better.

I am not sure how much he could understand of what I said to him, because I don't have a lot of experience communicating with wild animals, but I kept talking to him as if he understood. I told him I really hoped he was ok and that he could heal from whatever had happened to him. I told him that I would love to see him again and asked if he would come by sometime and let me see that he was alright.

I have no idea if I will ever see him again. I really hope I do because it would be wonderful to see him in better shape than the last time I saw him and have a more pleasant image to hold in my brain. Even if I don't see him again, I feel good knowing that I was able to do something. It is also nice to get some additional confirmation that all beings (human or animal) are receptive to energy. It seems as though it is a universal language that is understood by all souls.


No comments: