Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tell them what you are doing, and why

Yesterday, I had an experienced that reminded me of how important it is talk to animals and explain things to them.  I was driving home on a pretty busy street when I saw two Beagles dart out into traffic . . . fortunately, myself and the other drivers around saw them and were able to stop in time.  I pulled over to the side of the road to see if I could get close enough to them to help them find their way home.  Without thinking things all the way through, I got out of the car and started walking towards the dogs, asking them to come to me.  They paused, looked at me for a minute and then darted back across the street.  My heart was pounding as I realized I had spooked them and could have put them in danger again.  Fortunately, they made it to the other side of the street without getting hit but I knew I needed to come up with a better plan.

I ran back to my car, grabbed two leashes, a couple of dog treats and my cell phone, items I didn't used to keep in my car, but I do now because I have been in this position before and learned that these items were essential for helping get a dog back home.  I crossed the street and found the dogs running around behind the grocery store, so I followed them back there. 

Before approaching them, I tried to put myself in their "shoes" for a minute.  If I were them and some person I didn't know came up and tried to grab me, I would do everything I could to get away.  I knew I needed to explain what I was doing and why, if I was going to gain their trust and not scare them off again.  I sat down on the ground and started to talk to them.  I told them I could see they were away from their home, that I was sure their parents were worried about them.  I told them how worried I was about them being hurt and how dangerous it was to run out in the street.  I explained that I wanted to help them get home.  As I talked, they came closer and closer to me and I could sense they understood what I was saying.  Then I explained that I had leashes to help walk them home and that I wanted to be able to look at their tags so I could find a phone number to call their parents.  

One of the Beagles came close enough to me that I could touch him.  I reached for his collar and he started to flinch and I reminded him that I needed to look at his tag so I could find his phone number.  He stood still for a minute and I was able to see that his tag did indeed have his number on it.  I explained to him that I was going to put the leash on him and that I was going to call his parents, pulling a treat out of my pocket to sweeten the deal.  He happily took the treat and allowed me to put the leash on. His brother stood several feet away from me, unsure of whether he wanted to come closer or not.  I kept talking to him and explaining what I was doing, reminding him again that I wasn't going to hurt him and that I wanted to help them get back home.  

I called the number on the tag and a man answered.  I said "Do you have two Beagles?" and he said "Yes, I do."  I explained that I had found them running around and wanted to get them back home.  He said he was about 10 minutes away from home, and that his wife was out running and errand as well but that one of them would get there as quickly as possible.  I told him where I was and that I had only been able to leash one of the dogs.  I asked him what his dogs names were and he said "Petie and Mr. Bojangles."  I repeated the names outloud and I noticed that when I said "Petie", the little dog in front of me cocked his head and looked calmer.  I laughed and said "Yes, I am on the phone with your dad, Petie."   The man told me where his house was, which was only a couple blocks away.  I told him that if I could get Mr. Bojangles on the leash, we'd meet him at his house, but otherwise, I'd stay where we were behind the grocery store until he got there.  

After we hung up, I stood up and Mr. Bojangles started to run around the corner, back towards the busy street again.  Petie and I went running after him and when I got within ear shot, I started talking to him again.  "I just talked to your dad, Mr. Bojangles, it's ok, he knows I am going to help you get home."  I asked him if he would allow me to get close enough to him to put the leash on, reminding him that I wasn't going to hurt him and that I had a treat for him if he'd allow me to put the leash on.  I then pointed at his brother and said "See, Petie is on a leash and he's ok."  He looked at me for a minute, contemplating what I had said, and then took a couple steps towards me and allowed me to put the leash on.  After that, we were able to walk to their house and they were warmly greeted by both their mom and their dad who got home within minutes of each other.  

I share this story because I know I am not the only one who has encountered a lost dog, and I also know how scary and frustrating it can be when the dog keeps running away from you, potentially into harms way, when all you are trying to do is help them.  If you find yourself in this position, I hope you will talk to the animal and explain who you are, what you are doing and why.  If you were a dog and you were lost, I bet it would scare you even more if someone was trying to grab at you or your collar.  I know it would scare me.  And I know it would make me feel calmer if I understood why they were doing it.  Yes, the treats are always a nice touch too.  :-)  but I saw how much it calmed these two dogs when I explained what I was going to do and why, so I can't discount the importance of communicating our intentions. 

No comments: