Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not everything is because of 'old age'

I think too often, people doctors and animal doctors write off things that are going on with us and our pets as a sign of aging.  I cringe when I hear a doctor say "well, you are getting older" when I question something that is going on with my body . . .  and I cringe when a vet tells me or someone else that what is going on with their animal is probably "because they are getting older."  I think if we are too quick to blame "old age" we might miss out on important information and possible solutions.  

I have had it happen to me personally.  I have seen it happen with many of my friends and many of my animal clients.  I have also seen that often what is going on isn't just an "old age" issue but rather something else entirely.  

A couple years ago, I started to gain weight for no reason.  I was eating healthy, running 3 miles a day and yet, my waist kept expanding.  When I talked to my doctor about it she said "well, you're in your 40's now."  Her solution was for me to run 6 miles a day, you know, since I was getting older and all.  Not only was I offended but I also knew I couldn't find the time to run twice as much every day (I run kind of slow) so I kept searching for answers.  I found a new doctor who determined that I had a hormone imbalance.  When we made adjustments to my thyroid medication and my estrogen level, my waist suddenly got smaller, even though I wasn't exercising more or eating any differently.  

Another example was several years ago when Lucky lost her hearing.  The vet said "Well, this happens as animals get older" but I knew it wasn't an old age issue, even though he kept insisting it was.  Long story short, I finally realized that the ointment I had been putting in her ears for ear mites had created a film on her eardrum, thus creating "hearing loss."  After a couple rounds of ear wash, Lucky's hearing was restored.  

Recently, two of my animal clients started having pee accidents.  In both cases, their vet said "these things happen when animals get older" and while I do know that is true, and they can lose the elasticity in their bladders as they age, I don't think it is ALWAYS the case.  Both these animals guardians were trying to accept that 'this was how it was going to be now' and they were doing their best to deal with the new challenges that come with frequent pee accidents.  

Interestingly enough, with both of these animals, I could feel a burning sensation in my bladder when I was working with them.  I asked both of the guardians to check with their vets to see if the animal could possibly have a bladder infection.  Both got confirmation from their vets that that was exactly what was going on.  After getting both animals on anti-biotics, the pee accidents began to subside.  

While many things do happen with "old age," it concerns me that we go there so quickly, without exploring what else could be going on.  I write this tonight in the hopes that you will think about this the next time a doctor tells you that something going on with you or your animal is a result of "old age" and that it will inspire you to ask more questions about what else could be the cause.  In many cases, they may be right . . . but in the off chance that they are wrong, wouldn't you like to find another solution besides "accepting that you or your pet are getting older?"

If I hadn't pushed for more answers, none of my clothes would fit and Lucky wouldn't have been hearing several years ago.  :-)  FYI, Lucky DOES have hearing loss from her age now, which I accept but three or four years ago, that wasn't the case.  So, keep asking questions, keep exploring alternative explanations for the things that are going on with you and your animals. 

I don't believe we need to rush into the "well, you're getting older" explanation so quickly.  

No comments: