Friday, November 7, 2008

Preparing for the end

I spoke with someone today whose dog is nearing the end of his life.  Her veterinarian suggested to her that she needed to make a decision in the next few days about whether to help her dog pass on.  She was understandably scared, confused and very sad.  

My advice to her was that she spend some time tonight talking to her dog.  I suggested that she tell him how much he has meant to her, that she recount fun times they have had together and spend some time remembering, with him, how meaningful their time together has been all of these years.  I explained to her that not only would this heartfelt communication give him peace but that it would give her peace as well.  

I suggested that she explain to him that she believed he was nearing the end of his life and that she would help him go if he was ready to go.  I also suggested she ask him for a sign to let her know if he felt he could stay longer.   I really do believe our animals understand when we talk to them and they will give us a sign if they believe they are not ready to go yet. 

She tearfully thanked me for talking to her about it and I again assured her that speaking from her heart with him would bring them both peace and that I believed that when she woke up in the morning, she would have a better sense of what to do.  

This is a scenario that hundreds of people face every day . . . the end of their pets life . . . and unfortunately, most of us never feel "ready" for it.  It is scary, it is heart wrenching and we are filled with sadness and fear and confusion.   I believe with all my heart that the best thing we can do when this time comes is honor our pet, to let them know how much we love them and how much they have meant to us, remind them that their purpose in our life has been fulfilled. 

I also believe that we shouldn't wait until "the end" to have these conversations.  This is something that I think about often because my own dog, Lucky, is struggling with health issues (cancer, hip dysplasia, spine problems, etc).  For the last 4-5 months, I have wondered often if she was going to leave me soon.  I have felt overwhelmed with sadness and fear at the thought of being without her and yet, I have a strong impulse to just keep talking to her.  I want her to know every day how much she has meant to me.  I want her to know that I am the person I am today because of her and that I am incredibly grateful for the gifts she has given me. I want her to feel honored and appreciated every day, not because she has these health issues but because she deserves to know every day how important she is to me.

So, if you have a pet, whether they are sick or in excellent health, please tell them what they mean to you. Tell them how they have made your life better, let them know what you have learned as a result of their presence in your life, and remind them how important they are. I know they will treasure every word.   And when their time comes, you will feel peace inside, knowing that they knew everything that was in your heart.  

No comments: