Friday, October 3, 2008

Ask your animal a question

Ever wish you could communicate with your animal?  It's easier than you might think.  You don't need special "animal communication" capabilities.  Your animals understand most of what you say, as long as you have been talking around them all their lives and haven't made them wear ear plugs.  ;-)   Animals can give you "answers" to your questions if you give them choices.

I learned this early on with my German Shepherd.  I would ask her a question and give her choices so she could let me know what she wanted.  When I was getting ready to leave the house, I would tell her where I was going and give her the option to stay home or go with me.  I would say "if you want to go with me, go to the kitchen so I can put your leash on, if you'd prefer to stay here while I am gone, you can go to the laundry room.  She'd stand there for a minute, obviously contemplating her decision, and then she would make her choice. Sometimes she'd go to the kitchen, sometimes she'd go to the laundry room.   We have always operated that way.  I give her choices whenever I can, so that I have a better understanding of what she'd like.

I encourage my clients to talk to their animals this same way.  One client asked me which saddle her horse preferred.  I suggested she ask him herself.   I explained that all she needed to do what let him know what she would look for as a "yes" or a "no" as she put each saddle on him.   She put each saddle on him and said "If you don't like this one, shake your head or move your feet around, and if you do like it, stand still."   He communicated his feelings as clearly as she had asked.  She wasn't ready to trust she had really received a valid answer, so she tried it again, switching the order she put the saddles on him.  Sure enough, his answer was the same. 

This kind of communication can become especially helpful when an animal is sick and nearing end of life.  I have worked with many people who struggle at this point, fearful they aren't doing the right things, or that they are making their animal stay around longer than they want to, or that their animal is in more pain than they think.  It is a very real concern.  Anyone who loves their animals is naturally going to be concerned for their animals well being and want to do the best they can for their friend at the end of their life.  

Let your pet know what your concern is, for instance, if you are worried that they are in more pain than you think, tell them that you are operating under the assumption that their pain is not too great.  Ask them to please give you a sign if their pain is greater than you think it is. You can tell them what you'd like the sign to be.  If you are concerned that your animal is ready to go but holding on because of you, let them know that.  Let them know that if they need to go, it is ok with you.  Remind them how much you love them and how honored you have been to spend all those years together and then give them permission to let go if they are ready.  If you are worried that your animal isn't as sick as you think they are, ask them to give you a sign that they are healthy and not ready to go anywhere just yet.  You can give them something specific you'd like them to do, such as play with a favorite toy, to let you know that they feel better than you think.  

Remember that they can understand what you say and giving them clear choices will help them show you what they want and need.  They will welcome the opportunity to communicate with you.   If you aren't doing it already, give it a try.  I am sure you and your pet will not be disappointed. 

No comments: