Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Things I Knew At Sixteen


While going through some boxes this week, I found a folder with some old school papers in it.  I had saved a couple of poems I wrote in a creative writing class, which surprised me because I never thought poetry was my thing (I only remember getting really hung up on needing everything to rhyme)  LOL 

My jaw dropped when I discovered that back in high school (umm, about 40 years ago) I was writing about things that I've pretty much spent the last 4 decades learning/re-learning. While I was tickled to see that I had a little more insight at the age of 16 than I recall, it did kind of explain why I never felt like I "fit in" when I was young. My head and my heart always seemed to be some place else - some far away place that didn't make sense to others. Thought I'd share the poems here . . . not because they are GREAT poems but because the content has a fair amount of wisdom and interestingly enough, they seem quite fitting for the times we're in. 



Inner Peace
Maybe it's that eagerness that never seems to cease, always searching high and low for that inner peace.

Unsure at times of what it is, with all of the confusion. Ringing bells and hurried schedules are offenders of intrusion.

Early morning til late night it always is the same. Everyone in such a rush, playing that competitive game.

No one taking the time to stop and smell a pretty flower. People seem to be keyed in on only gaining power.

At times I want to make the world stop for just a minute - to appreciate this world of ours and all the marvelous things in it.

Receiving is all we ever do and no one wants to give. If only we could open up, there'd be more of a reason to live.

Crowds of people everywhere and all those people need love. If only they would care some more instead of push and shove.

Anticipating a change in us, that could make us share some more, because unless this change occurs, inner peace I can never explore.

Until the day comes when we have time for each other, retentive thoughts will linger on and I won't run for cover.

Keeping in mind that inner peace is my greatest need, learning early on in life that that's what others plead.

Everything I do in life will be reaching towards a new way. Yesterday it was inner peace, now it's that everyone reaches inner peace too some day.


Windows To The World

Windows to the world are what we're looking through - though clouded windows won't always do.

Who knows if what we find is true. Always mixed with emotion, people always blue.

Seeing is believing, as some people say. Yet for those who cannot see, what is the price they pay?

Knowing is to get a better view, but what about those who never get a clue.

Touching - we are moving toward the things we feel. Remember, love isn't something we can steal.

Trying to be what we could never be. Accepting ourselves for who we are is the real key.

Turning, if we'd only open up our hearts. Making attempts but they are all false starts.

Yearning for the things we cannot see. If we could be patient, they would come to be.

For the windows to the world aren't opened all the way. If we stay open, maybe we'll understand it all some day.




No comments: