Sunday, June 29, 2014

Preparing for New Family Members

I was recently asked to assist in an important communication.  A family had decided to bring another dog (a puppy) into their family and they wanted to not only make sure their two dogs were OK with it but they also wanted to know what issues/concerns the dogs had, so they could be addressed ahead of time.

I was very touched that the guardians were so focused on setting everyone up for success and I happily agreed to communicate with their two dogs.  They live out of the area, so I communicated with them remotely . . . which meant I didn't always know which dog was saying what, but when I shared everything they told me with their mom and dad, they were easily able to tell "who said what"  ;-)

The dogs had questions about where the new puppy was going to sleep, if they were going to have to share their toys with him, would he have his own own bowls and would they still have one-on-one time with mom and dad etc.

When I reminded them how much energy puppies have, they wanted to know if there was a place they could go that would be off-limits to the puppy when they needed a break.

I explained that part of their new role would be to help the puppy "learn the ropes" of their household, and teach him things like where to go potty, how to play and how to get extra treats from mom and dad.  :-)   This was the only time that I knew for sure which dog was talking to me, when one of them asked, "Am I still going to be daddy's little girl?"

When I spoke to their mom afterwards, she was very pleased with the feedback they gave her. She said she would definitely work it all out (sleeping arrangement, extra bowls, scheduling 1 on 1 time, etc.)   She was able to tell who said what, just based on their personalities and she confirmed that her husband has always called their female dog "Daddy's little girl" so I think she was extra comforted by the confirmation that I really was talking to her dogs.

Weeks later, she contacted me to let me know that the new puppy had arrived and that things were going really well. The two dogs were adjusting well to the puppy and they were all getting into the groove.  She was sure that it was such a smooth transition because they were able to understand the dogs concerns and address them ahead of time.  

She sent me a picture of their new family member and he is such a cutie, I just had to include it.  He is a little bundle of love and energy, with razor sharp puppy teeth!  But everyone in the family seems to be pleased that he is now a part of their pack.

I know how much animals appreciate it when their feelings are taken into consideration.  I am grateful that this family understood that and took the time to make sure everyone was set up for success when their new family member arrived.


No comments: