Sunday, August 29, 2010

Another visit from the other side

I had hoped my next blog entry would be an update on Lula's joyous and safe return to her family. Unfortunately, it has not happened yet. Please keep Lula and her family in your thoughts and sent out a wish or a prayer that they are reunited soon!

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of getting another 'sign' that Lucky is still with me. The subdudes were back in town, doing a show north of Marin in a little place called Rancho Nicasio. Lucky and I had been there before to see the subdudes and we had a wonderful time. I was looking forward to going back there again.

I called my brother to see if he wanted to go with me and he was game. I was really excited about seeing my favorite band again, but it was mixed with a little sadness that the last time I saw them in concert was the day after Lucky passed away, last October, and it made me really miss her.

The day of the concert, Lucky was on my mind a lot. I couldn't stop wishing she was going to the show with me, and I so clearly remembered the mental/emotional space I was in the last time I saw the subdudes, that it made my heart ache a little bit. I felt a little low energy as I drove up to San Francisco to pick up my brother. I tried to distract myself by listened to the subdudes music, really loud in the car and it seemed to work, as I was in a pretty good mood by the time I got to my brother's place.

We decided my brother would drive my car from the city up to the venue, so once we loaded up the car, I handed him the keys and jumped in the passenger seat. We were driving away from his place when I looked down at my cell phone in the center console and there, resting on top of my cell phone was a single Lucky hair.

I know the hair wasn't there before, because I had used my phone to call my brother a few minutes earlier when I was exciting the freeway. Besides that, my car is virtually free of all dog hair, as a result of the amount of times it has been in the shop since my car accident last April. (The guys at the dealer are kind enough to wash my car and vacuum it each time it is in for service, and with the number of times it has been back in the shop, I'm pretty sure my car has been vacuumed more times in the last 5 months than it was in the previous 5 years).

It made me smile in that deep, all the way from your toes to the top of your head, sort of way and I pointed it out to my brother. I said, "Look! Lucky is letting us know she's here and going to the subdudes show with us." My brother and I don't share the same spiritual beliefs, so he smiled at me in one of those "Isn't that cute, how my sister imagines things to make herself feel better" sort of ways. I didn't mind though. I knew Lucky was letting me know that she WAS there and it made me even more excited to go to the show (even if my brother thought I was a little crazy.)

We had a fabulous time at the show. It was so good to see the guys again, and we lucked out with some fabulous weather, which was perfect for an afternoon outdoor venue. The band played so many of my favorite songs, I didn't stop dancing or smiling the whole time they were playing. My heart felt full every time I thought about Lucky giving me a sign of her presence.

I haven't seen a Lucky hair in the car since that day, which confirms for me that she really was making her presence known, on that particular day, when she was so heavy on my mind and I was missing her so much.

I hope all of you who have an animal on the other side, are seeing signs that they are still around you as well.


No comments: