Saturday, July 24, 2010

Communicating with Animals

A few weeks ago, a couple people were asking me exactly how animal communication works. They wanted to know if I actually heard answers to the questions I asked animals or if I got the information another way. I really had to think to answer the question at first, because it wasn't a simple answer and because I have been able to communicate with animals since I was a little girl, it's not something I even think about anymore.

I get information in so many different ways . . . by actually feeling what the animal is feeling, by pictures they give me (that I often have to interpret), by watching their reaction to the things I say and sometimes just by "knowing" the answer without having to even think about it - as if information was just put into my head. Chances are, other animal communicators get information in other ways as well. There isn't just one way to communicate with animals as they each have their own styles, their own way of sharing information.

In the event that any of you are as curious as the folks I spoke with a few weeks ago, I thought I'd share a few examples of how I pick up information. I believe we all have the ability to communicate with animals, it's often just a matter of developing the skill, so maybe this information will help you in your own quest to communicate with your animals.

When I pick up what the animal is feeling, I literally feel their feelings. It is often in response to a question or what someone has said, like the time one of my clients asked me how their dog was feeling about an upcoming trip and I immediately felt anxiety running through my body. Or the time I was working with a dog and one of his guardians made a comment about how dumb he was, and I immediately felt sadness and some frustration. When I said, "I don't believe he is dumb at all, in fact I believe he is quite smart" the dog immediately ran over to me and licked my knee.

Sometimes the information comes from pictures I get in my mind. The other day, I was giving a reiki treatment to a dog who had never had one before, although the humans and other animals in the house have had reiki treatments before. I was commenting to the guardian that I was surprised at how calm he was, as often animals are a bit nervous the first time they get a reiki treatment and as soon as I said it, I got an image of one of the other dogs in the house. I laughed and said, "Oh, Guy told him what to expect, that's why he isn't nervous."

Another way I get information is just by watching the animal I am working with. I have learned over the years that it is very important to pay attention to what is being said in the presence of animals because their behavior will often tell you how they feel about what has been said. One time, I was working with a dog who had severe separation anxiety. The dog was relaxing on the floor with me and her guardians, enjoying the reiki treatment, when the guardians brought up a recent incident where the dog had chewed up the inside of their car during a bad bout of separation anxiety. The dog immediately jumped up and hid on the other side of the room. There wasn't any other interpretation besides "the dog feels really bad about doing that to your car." Her guardians assured her that they weren't upset with her, they were just worried about her and wanted to help her feel less anxious. Once they said that, she walked back over to where we were sitting on the floor and laid down in front of me, ready to resume her reiki treatment.

It's a little harder to describe the last way I pick up information . . . when something is just in my head. It happened today, when I was sitting in the backyard working on my tan and a crossword puzzle. :-) I heard the buzz of a hummingbird and looked up from the paper. Right there in front of me was a beautiful hummingbird, idling steadily at eye level for a minute. The next thing I knew, I was saying, "I'm sorry, I'll take care of it now." It took me a second or two to figure out what I was responding to because my response was so automatic, but I quickly realized the hummingbird told me that the water in the feeder needed to be changed. As I had promised, I immediately got up, washed out the hummingbird feeder and refilled it with a fresh batch of sugar water. It has made me smile this afternoon to see visits from at least ten hummingbirds since I freshened up their supply. I think they are pleased that I was able to get the message that was delivered to me.

As I mentioned before, I believe we all have the ability to communicate with animals. It's just a matter of paying attention to what we pick up and then learning to trust that information. So, when you are talking to your animals, watch how they react to what you say, pay attention to how you feel and what pictures pop into your mind. You may be surprised by what you can pick up yourself. From experience, I would say, learning to trust what you pick up is actually the more difficult part of learning to communicate with animals, but in time, that trust will come.

Give it a try and see what you able to do yourself! I think your animals will appreciate the effort, regardless of how good you are at first.



No comments: