Saturday, July 31, 2010

Communication from the other side

Several months ago, a friend of mine loaned me a book by Jeffrey Wands called "The Psychic in You." At the time she gave it to me, she said there probably wasn't much in it I didn't already know, but she still thought I would enjoy it.

It's been sitting on the table, with a stack of other books that I hope to read someday, and I had been wondering if I should just return it to my friend, since I haven't found much time for reading lately but the other day, I felt compelled to pick up the book. I sat down on the couch and thought I'd read a chapter or two and the next thing I knew, it was way past my bedtime and I was half way through the book.

It's been an enjoyable and interesting read. Jeffrey Wands is a psychic and a medium and in the book, he shares stories about his experiences with his clients and those on the other side, that he communicates with. He also writes about how he learned about his psychic abilities and how he learned to trust and embrace his abilities over the years.

I've been feeling inspired to learn more about communicating with those on the other side, so the portions of the book about his medium skills were very intriguing to me. There was one part where he talked about the signs people get from their loves ones who have crossed over that really caught my attention.

It was a section on smells that those on the other side seem to be able to create, to let people know of their presence. I had heard of that before, but mostly in reference to good smells, like the smell of a mother's perfume that catches your nose or the smell of a grandfather's pipe . . . I didn't know that they can also bring forth not-so-pleasant smells, if those smells are ones they believe will clearly communicate that they are here in spirit.

He shared a story of two sisters whose father had passed many years earlier, and apparently, the father had some pretty bad body odor from time to time. Years after his passing, the sisters would occasionally catch a whiff of the pungent odor their father used to give off when he was alive and they wanted Jeffrey to confirm their father's presence in their home.

The story made me laugh out loud, as I remembered something that occurred a few months after Lucky had passed. My ex-boyfriend was over at my house and we were sitting on the couch visiting. At one point, I went into the kitchen to refill our water glasses and when I walked back into the family room, my ex was standing up with this really odd look on his face. I asked him what was wrong and he said, "I swear, I just smelled Lucky's gas." I looked at him inquisitively and then played along as he asked me to smell here and there, but I didn't smell anything. I joked that maybe Lucky had come to visit him, but I wasn't serious, because it didn't occur to me that they could really come through with unpleasant smells from the other side.

But, as I was reading Jeffrey's book, I realized that it probably WAS her and it seemed fitting that she would come through to him that way, since he was probably more bothered by her bad gas than anyone else I knew. I had gotten so used to it, I barely noticed it anymore, but he was always bothered by it, often feeling like he could throw up when he smelled it. It made me smile to think she was making an effort to reach him, especially since he isn't too sure about the "other side" stuff and always believed that when we die, that's it. Maybe she was trying to help him re-evaluate his position on the spirit world by giving him a sign that only she could create. :-)

If you're interested in exploring your psychic abilities, I recommend the book. It's an easy read and his stories are entertaining as well as thought provoking. It definitely made me more aware of what I am smelling around the house since I started reading his book. :-)

No comments: