Friday, November 27, 2009

Acts of Kindness

If you read my blog regularly, you know how much I appreciate it when we are kind to one another and kind to animals. As a witness to so much of this kindness this past week, I wanted to share a few of these stories in the hopes that you will be as touched as I have been.

My first story is: I went to one of my client's houses this week to give Reiki to her cat, Misha. Misha is older and has been dealing with some health issues, so she gets periodic Reiki treatments to help her stay strong. When I arrived at their house, Misha was laying on the couch where she usually is for her Reiki treatments, and snuggled next to her on the couch was another of my client's cats, Sweet Pea.

I said hello to them both and then prepared to start working on Misha, when all of the sudden Misha got up and walked to the other side of the couch and sat down. I moved over to her new position and started to put my hands on her when she got up and moved back to where she had been sitting before. I was talking to their guardian while this was going on and wasn't paying close enough attention to what Misha was telling me. As I moved back over to where she was sitting, I tuned in and heard what she was telling me . . . she felt that Sweet Pea needed the treatment more than she did.

I told their guardian what I was picking up and asked if it was OK with her if I started with Sweet Pea. She told me she had wanted to talk to me about Sweet Pea anyway, as she hadn't seemed herself the last day or so, and she was happy to have me see what was going on with her. While I was giving Reiki to Sweet Pea, Misha just sat there, contently watching us, pleased that I had listened to her and happy that her "sister" was getting the help she needed.

I had the thought when I first got there . . . that there was a reason Sweet Pea was laying in the "Reiki spot" when I arrived, as it is something she had never done before when I came to work with Misha, but since my appointment was with Misha, I didn't pay enough attention to what I was sensing. Fortunately, Misha was determined to get me to "hear" what I needed to hear.

After about forty minutes of soaking up the energy, Sweet Pea got up from the couch and went into the other room. Immediately, Misha got up and laid down on the couch in front of me. She was telling me that it was OK for me to give her Reiki now.

I was so touched by her kindness, the way she was looking out for her "sister" and making sure she got the help she needed. It was so selfless, so generous, so protective. I was in awe of her, even though I know I shouldn't have been surprised. Animals are so loving and so loyal. It's not something they have to learn, it's just who they are.

Another story is: A few weeks ago, I came home to find a message on my machine that warmed my heart to the core. It was a message from an older gentleman I had met more than a year ago telling me he wanted to give me a book he had read as a thank you for teaching him that he could talk to animals. He said there was a part in this book called “Wesley the Owl,” that made him think of me and what I had taught him. He really wanted me to have the book and I was touched on so many levels.

This man wasn’t a client or someone I had extensive interactions with. We just had one conversation but that conversation had obviously impacted him greatly. It was so important to him that he make contact with me that he tracked me down through the vet office I used to work at and was able to get my contact information through them.

As I thought back, I could recall our conversation vividly. He was such a kind man. You could just feel the gentleness of his soul when you were standing next to him. I remember he had told me that there was a feral cat that had been living in his yard for some time. He had been putting out food and fresh water for her every day for ages and while she was obviously content to live there outside his house, she still wouldn’t let anyone come near her. He told me he had noticed in recent weeks that she was no longer eating and that she was losing a lot of weight. He was worried about her and he wanted to get her help but he didn’t know how he’d ever get her to the vet, given how afraid she was of humans.

I could see the sadness and the worry in his eyes. I could feel how much it hurt him to feel so helpless to come to her aid. I remember telling him that he could try talking to her, that he could explain why he was worried about her and ask if she would trust him to take her to a place where she could get some help to feel better. I remember he looked at me oddly, which didn’t surprise me because a lot of people look at me that way when I tell them they can talk to animals, but then he said, “Really? I can talk to her and she’ll understand?”

I explained to him that while feral cats are slightly more difficult to communicate with, as they haven’t been exposed to as much vocabulary as an indoor cat, I believed that they can understand if we use more simple words. I also told him I believed animals can feel what is in our hearts, so if he focused on his desire to help her, she would feel that too.

I never saw him again and hadn't thought about it in the last year. After getting the message from him, and sensing that his desire to give me the book was so genuine and sincere, I made a point to meet him at his house the next day to accept the book he was offering me. When I got there, I immediately felt the gentleness of his soul again and I was so glad he had found a way to get in contact with me. After a brief discussion about the book, he told me what happened after we had spoken that day.

He said he went home and talked to her, explaining what he wanted to do and why. Much to his delight, he discovered that she did hear him and understand him. And much to his surprise, she did allow him to pick her up and put her into the cat carrier so he could take her to the vet. He told me he never would have thought it was possible but clearly it was and he was so happy that he was able to bring her to see someone and not feel helpless to help her anymore. He said it was really important that he let me know he had learned something very important from me that day, that I had changed the way he thought about animals.

As we were standing in his front yard, I looked around and then said “Is she still here?” and he said, “No, that’s the sad part of the story, even though she trusted me to bring her to the vet, they weren’t able to make her well. I did everything they suggested but I could never get her to eat again.” He went on to tell me that several weeks later, as her condition grew worse and he knew she was in increased pain, he asked her if she'd like him to bring her back to the vet to help her get out of her body . . . and once again, she allowed him to put her in the carrier and take her to the vet one last time.

As my eyes welled up with tears, I told him how sorry I was. She had obviously meant a great deal to him and it made me so sad to think he lost her after all of that. But he had a different take on it entirely. He seemed genuinely touched that he had learned that animals could understand him when he spoke to them. As I could feel his gratitude, another thought washed through me, and it was this . . . because he took a chance and talked to the cat, even though it didn’t result in a prolonged life, what it did do was give them both an opportunity to trust, which I believe was a gift to both of them.

In her final weeks, she learned it was safe to trust someone and I know it meant a great deal to her, to feel the love and respect that he had for her. For him, this sweet older gentleman, I know it made him feel good to know he was able to help her, even if it was ultimately to help her make her transition. And for me, I was touched beyond words to know that a casual conversation I had with a stranger ended up giving both this cat and this loving man an opportunity to have the experience they had. It was a sweet reminder for me that I shouldn't be shy about sharing what I believe to be true about animals, even with strangers.

And finally, it is with a heavy heart that I share that two more of my clients passed away in the past week and a half. My heart goes out to both of their guardians, as I know what a tremendous loss it is to lose an animal that you love so dearly and have shared your life, and your heart with. Both these cats, Lucy and Montana were loved so deeply, so completely by their guardians, I felt it was only fitting to include them in this blog about kindness . . . because the love and dedication of their guardians was a beautiful thing to witness.

Both these women went through so much, as they dealt with the health issues that both Lucy and Montana were dealing with. The love and respect they showed these two cats, the commitment they both had to doing everything they could to stay in tune with how their "babies" were feeling, to give them the help they needed, always reminding them how loved and cherished they were, was not only touching but inspiring.

Lucy and Montana both loved their "moms" so much. They both fought hard to stay here as long as they could, wanting to savor the time they had with these two very special ladies. The love and gratitude they felt towards their "moms" would make me well up with tears. It was, and will always be for me, one of the most beautiful things I get to witness in the work I do. To see and feel the love that exists between animals and their guardians shows me the depth of what we are capable of and reminds me what a gift animals give us . . . allowing us the opportunity to love and be loved . . . so freely and completely. I want to believe it makes us better human beings to experience that kind of love.

These relationships, between Lucy and her mom and Montana and her mom, were built on a foundation of love and respect, appreciation and gratitude. I always felt so honored to be a part of their journeys. My heart has ached for both their "moms" because I know how great of a loss it was for both of them to lose their beloved cats. My hope is that they both find some comfort in knowing what a tremendous difference they made in the lives of these two animals and that they always remember they now each have a special guardian angel who is watching out for them.


1 comment:

Rose De Dan, Wild Reiki and Shamanic Healing LLC said...

What beautiful stories, I especially loved the one about the man and his learning to communicate with the feral cat teacher who came his way. Keep the stories coming!