Monday, April 6, 2009

Understanding Pain

For most animal guardians, one of their greatest concerns, especially as their pets get older, is their animal's level of pain.  Of course, no one wants their animal to be in pain and we will do whatever we can to ensure our pets don't suffer.  And while I know this concern comes from a place of love and compassion and it always well intentioned, sometimes, our own fears can get the best of us.  Our worries about our animals being in pain can make us so full of fear that we over-react to what our animals are showing us. 
 
I am fortunate enough to be able to feel what animals are feeling when I touch them so it is easy for me to get a sense of an animal's level of pain.  Most of the time, when a client expresses concern about how much pain their pet is in, what I feel is the equivalent of how you would feel the morning after you worked out for the first time in months (or years).   I have felt that stiff before, I have ached when I stood up after sitting for a while or felt stiff as I tried to move certain ways, but the pain wasn't anywhere close to making me want to have someone put me down.  

One of the things I have learned is that we often overlook the fact that what we do for ourselves when our muscles are sore are often the same things our animals can benefit from . .. gentle stretching, gentle massage, warm and cold compresses.  If we can do those things for our animals, we can often relieve the discomfort they are feeling in their bodies.  

I know that not everyone has the ability to feel what their animals feel that way I do, but that doesn't mean you can't see what your animals are showing you.  Here are some concerns that my clients have shared with me and what I believe the signs could mean.

- My animal is sleeping a lot. Is that a sign they are in pain?   Usually not.  Think about when you are in pain.  How much are you able to sleep?   I believe when animals are sleeping a lot, it is their body's way of trying to repair itself.  When we're sick, we usually feel better when we sleep a lot.  I don't believe animals are that different.  They sleep because they are trying to fight off whatever it is they are trying to fight off.  I don't believe it is always a sign they are in pain.  

What I DO think is often a sign of pain or discomfort is when an animals can't sleep, or an animal can't get comfortable.  If an animal keeps moving, repositioning themselves again and again, that is something I would pay attention to.  That is more likely a sign they are having discomfort.

- My animal won't eat.  Is that a sign they are in pain?  It can be but it can also be a sign that they have an upset stomach.  Often times the medicine we are giving them to help them get better, or medicine we are giving them for pain can make their stomachs upset.  It doesn't always mean they are in pain.  Try giving them something to soothe their stomach, give them foods that are easy on the stomach/digestive system (think about what you want to eat when you are sick . . . rice, chicken broth, etc) but be careful not to automatically assume it is a sign they are in a great deal of pain.  

Don't forget you can also ask your animal directly.  Tell them how you'd like them to indicate a "yes" and  "no" - it could be "Look at me, if the answer is yes, look away if the answer is no"  or "take a step forward if the answer is yes, take a step back if he answer is no".  Then ask them "Are you in pain?"  "Is it more pain than you can handle?"  "Do you want me to get some medicine to make the pain go away?"  and if you do try pain medicine, you can ask "Is this medicine making your pain go away?"

If an animal is in pain, I think they show us through their eyes.  If you are unsure of how much pain they are in, look into their eyes.  It's hard to explain what exactly to 'look for' but I think you'll know when you look into their eyes.

The other thing to keep in mind is that animals, like us, aren't always in CONSTANT pain. Sometimes the pain is stronger in moments (first thing in the morning, when they first stand up, when they've been standing too long, etc) and not so bad the rest of the day.  Don't assume that the pain is constant and don't assume that it is "intolerable pain."  You can ask your animal if it's more pain than they can handle. 

I know with Lucky, sometimes she does have pain.  But I also know that the discomfort she feels from time to time isn't enough to make her want to leave.  It's one of the things that bothers me about how we deal with animals. I think we are often too quick to decide an animal should be 'put down' without truly understanding the true level of pain they really are in.  The next time you work out and wake up with stiff muscles, ask yourself if you think you should be 'put down' to 'get you out of pain'.   Keep that in mind when you are trying to decide what to do regarding your own animals pain.  

In my experience, animals are noble and strong.  They are here to play very important roles in our lives and they are willing to put up with a little discomfort if it means they can fulfill the promise they made to us when they came into our lives.  And I also believe they can tell us when the pain is too much and they are ready to go.  

No comments: