Saturday, January 3, 2009

A man who loved his dog

Along with animals, I also love rock music.  At 10pm on Saturday nights, there's a local channel here in the Bay Area that highlights local musicians (or musicians that got their start in the Bay Area).  Last week, much to my delight, they highlighted my all time favorite - Eddie Money.  I was almost giddy as I watched the man that I have been crazy about since seventh grade stand on stage and belt out my favorite songs.  

Tonight, I turned on the TV to see who they were going to be highlighting and it was Tesla.  I have a few favorite Tesla songs . . . Love Song and What You Give holding the place of my most favorite of their songs.  

In an interview with Troy Luccketta, he explained the What You Give was actually written about a dog.  He said everyone always assumed it was written about a girl, which is what I thought as well, but after hearing him say that, I felt compelled to pull out my Tesla cd and give the song another listen.  I was touched to listen to the lyrics with a different 'ear' and hear how this musician felt about his dog.  I decided it was an appropriate thing to share this evening.  So, for your reading enjoyment, here are the lyrics to What You Give and if you feel so inclined, check out the song on itunes.  It really is a great song, all the more sweeter to me, now that I know who it was written for!

Who's the one that makes you happy?
Or maybe, Who's the one always on your mind?
And who is the reason you're livin' for?
Who's the reason for your smile?

I feel so lonely, yet I know I'm not the only one, to ever feel this way.
I love ya so much that I think I'm goin' insane.
I'm goin' crazy, outta my head.
Goin' crazy, outta my head
Can't think about nothin' but your good, good love,
And what you give.

Now everyone needs somebody.
And you know, everybody needs someone.
Well, and a-yes it's true?
Everybody needs a special kind of love,
And your the only one I'm thinkin' of.
You mean the world to me.
You are my only.

It's not whatcha got, it's a-what you give.
It ain't the life you choose, it's the life you live.
It's only what you give, only what you give, only what you give,
It's not whatcha got, a-but the life you live
It's the life you live.
Play it pretty for the world.

You're the only one that makes me happy, oh yeah baby.
And you're the one always on my mind. And yes it's true.
You are my reason, my one and only that I've been livin' for
What can't forever be . . . forever and nothin' more.

I feel so lonely, yet I know I'm not the only one
To ever feel this way.
I love ya so much I lose track of time,
Lose track of the days
I'm going' outta my head,
going crazy, outta my head.
Can't think about nothin' but your good, sweet love
And what you give.

It's not whatcha got, it's what you give.
It ain't the life you choose, it's the life you live.
No, no, no, no, no!
It's not whatcha got, it's what you give.
And it ain't what it's not, but what it is.



1 comment:

Tina B. said...

Great article. Tesla is also one of my favorite bands. Now the song has even more meaning to me knowing why the song was written.