Monday, August 8, 2022

Misunderstandings

It seems we are surrounded by so many "opportunities" for misunderstandings. I have observed time and again how upset and frustrated people can get on both sides of the coin - whether you are the person who is communicating or the person who is being communicated to. Unfortunately miscommunications can lead us to judge the people who didn't follow what we thought was a clear message. It can also lead us to judgement toward the person who communicated -  for asking people to do something that just sounds outlandish. (Of course, misunderstandings can create all sorts of unexpected twists and turns  - these are just a couple examples). Bottom line, misunderstandings can happen very easily. 

Whenever I see this meme it makes me giggle so much. At the same time it articulates this point so perfectly!  So often we think we are being super clear when in fact what we are saying is as confusing as this sign! 

Sometimes all that is needed is to repeat what we "heard" and ask from a place of curiosity if we have received the message as intended. We could say something like "I want to make sure I've got this right - you want me to do "x?" and upon hearing how we received the message, the person communicating the message has the opportunity to hear how their message was received and if appropriate re-clarify what they really meant to articulate.

I've found that we can usually clear up a misunderstanding rather quickly if we are willing to speak up as soon as possible. Not from a place of frustration though (or dripping in sarcasm). If we can truly come from a place of curiosity, the situation can often be resolved in a matter of minutes. Occasionally it can even lead to some shared laughter when the message giver hears how the message was received.

Something to ponder anyway. Or maybe you can just have a laugh if that's what you need today.

I don't know who created this hilarious meme so I can't give proper credit. If anyone knows who it is, please let me know so I can thank them for all the giggles it has given me! 

No comments: