Friday, November 13, 2020

Coping with the Intensity

I noticed today that this post I published in September of 2016 was getting a lot of activity so out of curiosity, I pulled it up to see what I had written.  I was shocked (and a little saddened) to see how valid it is once again - four years later but figured it was worth republishing it in the hopes that it may be helpful to folks now. 

These are very intense times right now.  Terrible things are happening in our world . . .  the heartbreaking and senseless violence, the divisiveness and ugliness of the political arena, etc.  It is easy to slip into the feeling of helplessness and despair, to believe that all of this is happening to us and around us with no ability to change it. Yet, I think we have more power to change things than we think.

My personal belief is that our thoughts and emotions are powerful manifestors and if our focus is on fear and anger and disappointment, we, as a collective, manifest more things to be afraid of, angry about and disappoint by.  If we can shift our thoughts and emotions to positive things, we can actually create more positive.

So, how do we shift our thoughts and emotions to positive things?  We can spend some time every day making sure we are taking care of ourselves and being kind to ourselves.  We can put on music that makes us happy and enjoy where the music takes us.  We can hug our pets and think about how blessed we are to have these amazing creatures in our lives, showing us what it means to love unconditionally.  We can take a break from the news and Facebook and get out in nature.  When we are in nature, it's difficult to be in a state of negativity.  (unless you really dislike being outdoors)  :-)

I am fortunate to live very close to the forest so several times a week I hike in the forest.  No matter how heavy the issues in the world feel when I leave the house, once I get in the midst of the trees, all the heaviness goes away.  I breathe in the peacefulness, I listen to the birds and I allow myself to soak in all that beauty as I make my way down the trails.  I have found a favorite tree and I've been known to hug it, as long as there is no one around who might see me.  :-)

I come back from each of these hikes feeling renewed - not plagued by fear or anger or disappointment.  The positive thoughts and feelings I experience manifest more positives - not just for me but for everyone.  It's all about energy and I believe the more positive energy we have inside us, the more positive energy is felt around us . . . and the more each of us takes responsibility for what we are feeling and thinking, the more time we spend doing things that make us happy and bring us peace, the more quickly we can change this chaotic and painful world we live in.  I believe it can start with us individually and quickly effect all of humanity.  Even if you don't believe it can effect all of humanity, it can't hurt to give yourself the opportunity to feel more moments of peace and happiness, can it?






No comments: