Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Treat Yourself As Well

Over the years, I have been asked to relay a heartwarming message from my animal clients to their guardians and each time I pass the message along, I am touched by it's beauty.  That message is:  Please take as good of care of yourself as you have always taken care of me.

Often this message is relayed close to the animals transition, as one of their parting words of wisdom but I don't think we have to wait until our animals are ready to leave us to start embracing these wise words.

Most people don't even realize they are taking better care of their animals than they are of themselves.  We can be driven by love to focus on their needs and yet not look at ourselves through those same loving eyes.  We prioritize their needs above ours because "they need us" yet the truth is, we need us just as much.

I remember one client years ago who was searching for help for her dog's anxiety.  She was seeking all sorts of alternative treatment options, determined to bring her dog some peace when in reality, she had anxiety issues herself that may have even been worse than her dog's anxiety.  Once we had brought some peace to her dog, I asked her gently if she thought some of the same things she was doing for her dog might help her as well.  She stared at me for a few minutes as she tried to process what I was saying . . . then as she picked up her dog to hug him, she slowly nodded her head and said, "I guess I could give it a try."

I had another client who mentioned that she was having dizzy spells and mental confusion because she often forgot to eat.  I asked her if she ever forgot to feed her dogs and she looked almost offended and said, "No, of course not!"  I smiled and said, "Aren't you just as important?" She laughed and said maybe she'd make herself something to eat each time she prepared food for her dogs.

Time and again, I have seen clients go out of their way to meet the emotional and physical needs of their animals, while ignoring those same needs in themselves, so it doesn't surprise me when animals ask me to pass along this important message to their guardians.

Is there anything you are doing for your animal that you could be doing for yourself?  Are you making sure they get exercise every day but neglecting your own exercise needs?  Are you setting boundaries for them, i.e. not letting them be around other dogs that may play too rough, yet allowing people in your life that don't treat you very well?   There's a chance your life could be even sweeter if you gave yourself the same level of care that you give your pet.  Something to think about . . .


No comments: