Sunday, April 7, 2013

My New Friend Angel

Last week, I met a wonderful German Shepherd named Angel.   Originally, I went to meet her with the intention of determining if I should adopt her but I realized very quickly that we were meeting for another reason.

Angel's guardian had to move to an assisted living facility that doesn't allow large dogs.  His son and his girlfriend are now Angel's guardians but because of their long work hours, Angel is alone too much each day.  Consequently, she is bored, she is anxious  . . . and she is running rings into the lawn in the backyard.  They are looking for a new family for Angel so that she will receive the love and attention that she deserves.

I sensed that Angel and I weren't supposed to become roommates but I immediately felt like I should offer to take Angel out for exercise whenever I had some free time.  Fortunately for both Angel and I, they welcomed it and have given me permission to come by anytime I want and take her out.

On our first walk, it felt so good to be walking with a German shepherd again, I couldn't stop smiling.  She was thrilled to be out for a walk and quite honestly, the exercise is really good for me too since I got a little carried away eating Girl Scout cookies last month.

The next time I went, I made sure I wore tennis shoes instead of flip flops, since Angel really wants to walk FAST and I could barely keep up with her on our first walk.  I have found myself scanning my calendar for openings in my schedule where I can go visit her because I can't wait to see her again.  Being around her makes me very happy.

So, it seems that Angel and I need each other right now.  We both need some exercise and we both need some companionship  . . . and so we have the ingredients for a perfect friendship.

No comments: