Sunday, June 27, 2010

They are always with us

Today, I had the honor of giving a reiki treatment to the guardian of a former animal client of mine. She has been dealing with a lot of grief since her beloved Lacy made her transition four months ago and she thought a reiki treatment might be what she needed to help her move forward.

Lacy always came to my house when she got her reiki treatments, so they decided that the wife should receive a treatment at my house as well, and we picked the same time of day that Lacy always got her treatments, 2pm. As I was getting ready for them to arrive, I wondered if Lacy would show up in spirit.

I got my first clue that she was here when I took my massage table out of it's carrying case. When I went back to retrieve something else from the case, I found a tennis ball in there, that was NOT there before. Sure, the case was sitting next to Lucky's toy basket that still has a home in the laundry room, but I couldn't explain how a ball jumped out of the basket and landed in my carrying case.

During the reiki treatment with Lacy's mom, I could sense Lacy was here, although, I wasn't sure if I should say anything or not, as her mom was already feeling pretty raw and I wasn't sure if she'd think I said it because it was what I thought she wanted to hear.

Through out the treatment, I could feel Lacy sitting on the left side of the table and then at one point, I could sense her going under the table. I was so glad that she was here and in all honesty, I wasn't surprised. The love our animals have for us doesn't change when they go to the other side, and knowing how deeply Lacy loved her parents, I had a feeling she's make sure she was here today when they came.

Lacy's dad came along to support his wife and he was relaxing on the couch reading a book during the reiki treatment. A couple times he fell asleep, still holding the book he was reading but at one point, the book fell out of his hands and it startled all of us, as it hit the coffee table and then landed on the floor. He quietly apologized, as we all giggled for a minute . . . and the reiki treatment resumed.

When the treatment was over, I asked Lacy's mom how she was feeling . . . still unsure of whether I should tell her that Lacy had been here. Much to my delight, the first thing she said was, "Lacy was here, I could feel her!"

She went on to tell me where Lacy had been sitting, first on the left side of the table, then she felt her go under the table and then she settled on the right side of the table for a while. I was so thrilled to hear that she had felt Lacy's presence and also happy to know that what she felt had matched what I had picked up, although, at some point, I wasn't focused on Lacy anymore because I was focused on her mom and what I was sensing from her body during the session.

As she continued to share what she had experienced during the reiki treatment, she, her husband and I all teared up . . . she said that at one point, she felt Lacy get up and start moving around the room and in her head she thought "It must be about half way through the treatment"

The reason she thought that was because when Lacy got her reiki treatments, like clockwork, she would get up half way through, walk around a bit, go to her mom to get a treat and then settle back down for the second half of her reiki treatment. Even when I sent reiki to Lacy at a distance (which I did towards the end of her life when it was too difficult for them to make the trip down to my house), Lacy's guardians said that Lacy would still get up half way through, walk around a bit and then settle back down. It was just how she received reiki and we were so touched that she did the same thing when she was here in spirit, watching her mom get a reiki treatment.

As we were talking about Lacy's presence during the treatment, all of the sudden it occurred to me that maybe it was Lacy that knocked the book out of her dad's hands. When I shared that with him, he said it made sense because that time, he hadn't quite fallen asleep yet and he said he couldn't offer any other explanation for why the book had slipped from his hands that way. It made sense to me as well, since Lacy's dad doesn't feel energy the way her mom and I do and she probably wanted to find a way to let him feel her presence as well.

It was such a treat, for all of us, to know Lacy had come to be with them today . . . It was clear to me that Lacy wanted to share in her mom's healing process and lend her support.

As I have said many times before, I continue to be in awe of these mystical, magical creatures that we are lucky enough to share a part of our lives with. I am grateful to witness the love that continues to exist, regardless of whether the animals are here, or on the other side.



No comments: